By Desiree Johnson
Welcome to the Your Hair Story Series presented by Mixed Chicks. This dynamic, new innovative series allows Mixed Chicks users to share their personal stories behind their hair. Hair that kinks, coils, curls, waves, and tells a story reflecting their culture, race, ethnicity, and upbringing. Like our customers, hair comes in all shades, textures and shapes unique to each individual and here at Mixed Chicks we want to celebrate that to the utmost extent. Meet our exquisite Mixed Chicks women, men, and children who exhibit beauty from the root and give us honest, bold stories that we are honored to share with you.
▪ What has been your experience with the Mixed Chicks products?
All great experience! Mixed Chicks is the very first product that I found that worked for my hair type. It is also one of the 1st products that i ever reviewed as a vlogger/blogger. That was 7 years ago and I am still a fan today.
▪ What makes them different than other hair/beauty products you tried in the past?
My hair is fine. other hair/beauty products tended to be too heavy or gel laden for my hair. Mixed Chicks consistently provides my hair with the correct balance and moisture that it needs to enhance my natural curls.
▪ Do you have a go-to or token Mixed Chick Product you cannot go without?
I cannot do without Mixed Chicks Leave In Conditioner. It is perfect for MY hair. It dries fast and soft and it smells great.
▪ How has having a product specifically for your biracial/ethnic/multiracial background impacted your beauty regime?
My background is African American. I am not “Mixed”. I have very fine curly hair. This product works for my hair type which is fine and curly.
▪ How do your curls/hair texture represent your cultural/ethnic background?
My DNA says that I am 80% West African and 20% everything else. I have a variety of hair textures that reflect it all.
▪ What is one feature of the Mixed Chicks brand that empowers your hair/beauty care?
The one feature that empowers me the most are the creators of Mixed Chicks are Kim and Wendi. These 2 ladies do a great job of representing their brand. I’ve always been impressed with how friendly they both are in person. I see them at hair shows in Atlanta and they knew my name and immediately asked how they could help me. They have been supportive of my organization and my brand as well by making me WCW on their site and donating giveaways for my events. So yes Wendi and Kim are the best feature of this brand.
▪ If you could define Your Hair Story in one word what would it be?
▪ Why is the curly revolution vital for our generation?
The Curly Revolution is vital for our generation because it opens the door to allow us to embrace ourselves and our natural beauty.
▪ If your ‘Mixed Chick’ story were a song, what would it be?
We Are Family
(Because no matter our hair texture or skin color we really all are family and should show love and acceptance to all!)
▪ Do you have any go-to beauty/hair bloggers or vloggers who inspire or help your hairstyles?
I am an Atlanta-based blogger/vlogger whose primary focus is natural hair, African American beauty and Atlanta lifestyle. My blog is TheSistahCafe.com and you can find me on all social networks as “The SistahChick”. I am also the creator of Our Natural Kids a private social network for parents of children with natural hair. www.OurNaturalKids.ning.com
Here are my social handles: @TheSistahChick (FB, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope, SnapChat).
Interested parties can feel free to LIKE, TWEET, or FOLLOW our social media pages for the latest posts/updates and contact our email for questions on how to get involved. We are looking to showcase anyone who uses the Mixed Chicks brand of beauty products and wants to share their story. What’s the story behind your hair? Let us know!